Wednesday, November 11, 2009

at the end of the hall

I'm probably the only person in the universe that procrastinates on NaNoWriMo by writing a different story LOL.
I'm sad because I think this story is a hell of a lot more fun to write than Crescendo :< But ah well, I don't think it would be long enough for NaNoWriMo anyway. I believe someone said they were curious about my writing style several entries ago? I'm reluctant to post my writing because I really don't know how to write, but I don't think I'm going to have time for a drawing today, soo... here's part of the non-nano story I'm playing around with instead of a drawing. (Just as a note, this isn't the beginning of the story. This is near the end of chapter 1.)

The room at the end of the hall is a room I have never entered before. A room I have never been allowed to enter, to be more specific. When I was a child, I was simply told that that room was off-limits; I was given no explanation for it. I didn't even particularly want an explanation. Nobody ever entered the room, so if they didn't want to go in there, then neither did I.
But now I am curious. And this is my house now, so I am allowed to enter whatever room I please, correct?
I slowly reach out to turn the doorknob, and…
Nothing. I can't get the knob to turn all the way. It is locked or stuck or something of the sort. Well, that's no fun. I'll have to have someone come fix that.
I turn to leave, but suddenly, I hear something come from the room. I freeze.
It's quiet, so faint that I can hardly hear it, but I can definitely hear the sound of someone playing violin on the other side of the door.
I know I must sound crazy, but I am telling you, I can hear it! In fact, I even recognize the song; it is Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor. I press my ear to the door, but the moment I do, the song stops. I am frozen like this, plastered to the door, too terrified to move. My heart is racing. I know I heard it, I know I did! But now there is nothing –
My heart skips a beat as I hear a giggle come from behind the door. It's the same laugh I heard on the stairs, the laugh of a child. A boy, I think. I'm so afraid that it's difficult to get myself to move, but I force myself to crouch down and peer into the room through the keyhole.
Much to my horror, a set of eyes stare back me. This is not just a normal person staring back at me, I should add. This person is transparent. I can see the whole room behind him, through him.
I am no longer frozen in front of the door; I am running, running, running. I think I might be screaming, too, but I'm too focused on getting the hell out of this hallway to know for sure. No, getting out of the hallway or even off of this floor doesn't feel like enough. I am running down both flights of stairs, through the main floor's hallway, and bolting straight out the front door.
I stand at the very edge of the front yard, staring back at the house as I try to catch my breath. My breath is visible out here in the cold, white puffs of smoke crawling out of my mouth every time I exhale. My heart pounds as I try to think of somewhere to go, because I certainly don't want to go back in there. I don't have any friends to call, I no longer have any parents to go to, no family that would welcome me –
At the thought of what my family would think of me standing outside, shivering in the cold because I am too terrified to enter my own house, I feel my notorious stubbornness creeping up. They would quite surely be laughing their asses off if they were to see me right now. The sheer thought of it has me angered.
I am walking firmly back into the house. For the trillionth time, this house is not haunted, because ghosts are not real, dammit! What I heard and what I saw were merely hallucinations because I am extremely fatigued. I have not slept well at all for the past week or so, because I have been busy packing, and because I have been busy studying for my upcoming exams.
I am storming up the stairs now, up one flight, and then the next. I am not afraid of the third floor, and I will prove that nothing was there. I ignore the fact that my heart is beating a billion beats per second. (And, by the way, my heart is only racing because I just took that sprint outside; I assure you, my heart is not racing because I am afraid of this house!)
I am walking down the third floor corridor, past the library full of books I have never read, past the bizarre mirrored room and past the art studio with the unfinished painting of a familiar looking blond boy (who is seeming familiar more now than ever, but I am unconcerned with this at the moment), and down to the very end of the hall where the once-forbidden room is.
The door is still locked. Of course. Why wouldn't it be?
I press my ear to the door, but I hear nothing. Through the keyhole, I see no eyes staring back at me. All I can see through this small hole is part of a grand piano, and on the wall across from me is a sliding glass door that leads to a balcony. Transparent curtains hang in front of the door, moving slightly as if there is a draft in the room.
I step back from the door. See? Nothing strange at all!


TOLD YOU I CAN'T WRITE.
The main character has no name yet LOL /sob
I almost wonder if he even requires a name...
:< Well, even if he doesn't REQUIRE one, I would still like for him to have one, I think.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Oh my God. Wow.
You might not think you can write, but that was really amazing, and I'm not just saying that.
Writing is my whole life, I've been taught to read, write and edit since 6th grade. I've even been published before and I never thought I was good.
Seriously you have some awsome talent, you should really write more and let people read it.


lolol you make me want to make an account and post writing everyday now...though no one would read them lol

Pecocks always over water excited dead eggplants
wut?

bear said...

SHUT UP YOUR WRITING IS FREAKING FANTASTIC.
STOP BEING AMAZING AT EVERYTHING OMG.<3

rofl, everyone's acronyms lately seem to be about eggplants. There's no e in mine though, so I can't continue the pattern:<
--
jumping oranges rarely attack nocturnal owls.

Zetsumeru said...

FFFFFFF I was so happy when I saw you posted some of your writing.
I really liked it! I loved the whole vibe of the excerpt, if that made any sense.
But, seriously, it actually kept my interest and I actually sped up my reading so I could find out what happened sooner. XD I honestly could keep rambling on about how much I loved this, but I think you get it. <3

Am I allowed to make acronyms? D:
Cats are tiny if carried through open..... towers.

Regoddy said...

I actually really enjoyed that and kind of want to read the whole story now :) I'll totally be your editor if you want lol

Also, if it makes you feel better, I didn't/don't have a name for the main char in my NANO story T_T I just made one up because I had, so it's Allison now, but I hate that name. And I try not to use it in the story so it just chock full of pronouns. *writing fail*
---
Crippled Aardvarks Leap Puny Stones

Autumn said...

Thanks so much for the comments ;__;! I was really nervous to post some of my writing, but you guys made me feel better about it XD

Alice>
I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE AN ACCOUNT <3 I'd love to read your writing :D

Myou>
Eggplants are in, man.

Zetsumeru>
Everyone is allowed to make acronyms 8D I encourage it~
Thanks so much for your awesome comment ;_; <3

Reggie>
Depending on how good or bad the story turns out, I miiight let you read it XD Most of the time, my stories sound okay at first and then they completely plummet, which results in me being far too ashamed to let anyone else read it lolol :<

I feel your pain on the name thing ahahaha D:

--

galloping under a strobe light stops penguins.