Sunday, January 23, 2011

roots

offending people is not my intention with this entry, so please do not misunderstand me. this has just been weighing on me a lot lately.

recently a lot of my friends have been making me feel extremely uncomfortable.
a lot of my friends are minorities. most of them are not white, actually. so maybe they think that because I am not friends with a lot of white people, they can say bad things about caucasians and I will not be offended, but I am offended. and it's difficult to offend me about these things too; I'm not being touchy or whatever, I am quite frankly being insulted.
one of my friends (black) asked me to design her a tattoo and I was like "yeah sure, what kind of tattoo are you wanting?" and it was a tattoo that was extremely offensive toward white people. I was just like "...are you being serious?" like, are you fucking forgetting that I'm white? why would you ask a white person to make you a tattoo like that? why would you want a tattoo like that to begin with?
another one of my friends (Asian) said some extremely cross things about white people treating her rudely because of her race, and I'm sorry but no she is not treated badly because of her race. she's treated that way because of her terribly rude personality. if you're rude to people, they're going to be rude back. nobody gives a fuck if you're Asian or white or whatever, if you're a bitch, you're going to get treated badly in return.
and I mean, these are just a couple of examples. I face this shit constantly. way more often than I should have to.

I do not like the guilt constantly placed on white people. I know that racism is still a problem in America, I know it is, but I will not be made to feel guilty for something my ancestors did. I am not a racist girl and I have never treated someone badly because of their race, so I refuse to be put on a guilt trip over something I did not do.

allow me to tell you where I stand. I do not support black power. I don't support hispanic power. I don't support asian power. I don't support white power. I don't support ANY of that bullshit. I support people power. I believe in EQUALITY. I treat people equally and I expect you all to treat me the same way in return. I will not tolerate you speaking lowly of my race and then expecting white people to treat you nicely in return. quit talking shit; it's so disgusting and immature. be nice to all people and they will see that you are a good person and treat you nicely in return. get the fuck over something as shallow as the shade of a person's skin and love them for who they are.
if I hear anyone say another cross word about ANY race, I don't care what race it is, I swear you are never going to hear the end of it from me. I'm sick and tired of it. it's childish and obnoxious and offensive and I have no tolerance for this bullshit anymore. get over this racism crap. move on. let it be done. racism can't end until people quit contributing to it, so stop.

4 comments:

Kepi said...

I strongly dislike how people tend to boil down to their race being the reason they're treated badly. They're only treated badly because they believe that idea.

I strongly dislike the idea of (insert race) power as well and how others think Caucasian have no class for whatever reason.

Not attempting to stir up debate or controversy, I just wanted to say that I agree with you.

Autumn said...

yeah I hate that. I do realize that people are still frequently treated wrongly because of their race, but a large amount of the time, someone is treated badly because they did something to deserve it and it has nothing to do with their race. pulling the race card just makes them sound annoying and immature in my opinion. it's very aggravating. if the situation legitimately involves racism then that's something else entirely of course, but when it's something silly like "well I was kind of rude to you and now you're being mean back, YOU'RE RACIST!!!" it's just dumb.

Nimjilicious said...

You know its interesting since if one is a minority the number one assumption if they are treated poorly is that it was a racist encounter. I personally have never had a racist encounter THAT I KNOW OF. I assume the best of people and I have seen where people automatically assume race is part of the equation.

Its true that race is still a major issue in America and worldwide. Its also interesting that all the blame is placed on white people when, quite frankly, minorities do not help. at all. I've seen it, heard it from almost everyone i know that isn't white. White people are just an easy scapegoat to blame when shit gets tough. Minorities are JUST AS racist as the white people they claim to hate. Look no farther than the twisted 'acting white' phenomenon found in schools today.

Like my mom and I had a bad experience at a restaurant. I cannot tell you if race was involved. Maybe their service is always piss-poor? I don't know. And this is where the racist argument enters in that the automatic assumption is that it was racially charged.

I truly wish for a color-blind nation, but it comes with the stipulation that culture is not lost with it.

Even though I say a lot of bullshit, I do agree with a lot of what you say. I do joke about it because that is how I deal with things. Though I do try to be careful with the things I say because there are people who hav legitimately suffered because of racism and it is all around. Nothing will be fixed by the current system. Minorities have to accept that just because someone is white does not mean they are racist and that white people are not evil. It may sound simple but it's a large hump that needs to be crossed in the case of racial relations.

Sorry if I rambled and made no sense. I just think race is still an issue but not as much as people believe but not that it isn't still an issue. The ball is in the minority's court now and they need to decide how they will serve back.

Autumn said...

people assuming that they're treated poorly based on race irks me soo bad ugh. it's like they're forgetting that white people are just normal freaking people. most of us don't go around hating everyone we see based on outward appearances. I know people like that are still out there, but they're a dying breed and the majority of white people I know don't look at a black or hispanic person any differently than they would a white person.

and yeah I gotta agree on the racism-coming-from-both-sides deal. it takes two to tango, y'know? people don't usually think of white people being victims of racism but I have been verbally attacked for being white. hell, at this food handling class I had to take for my job at the movie theatre a couple of years ago, when I was waiting outside for my ride, there were two black girls sitting behind me going "stupid white girl" and throwing rocks at me. it's so fucking childish but it was hurtful and it's definite proof that racism is not just a white thing; minorities contribute to it just as much.
I think both sides need to work a lot more on respect.