Thursday, August 26, 2010

religion



People get so weird about the R word. Oh no, I'm gonna say it...! R-r-r-religion!!
I understand getting annoyed with people who just can't seem to shut up about the Bible. I understand getting agitated with those people who are always trying to "convert" you or whatever.
But when I say, "Oh, thank God!" out of relief, and I get a weird look or a snappy response of, "Uh, I don't BELIEVE in God." I'm like lol whattttt.
Allow me to explain to you the kind of home I live in, the kind of home I grew up in. Religion is an unavoidable topic in my household. I have an extremely religious family, and God is brought up in all sorts of conversations. When I was a child, we were at church every single Sunday. (I almost have to laugh at it now; we were even at church when my parents were hung over.) I was taught to pray at every meal, and I still pray before eating even now that I am an adult. When my mom died, she did not leave my sister and me with money or anything like that; she left us her Bible. Every morning, rather than watching the news, my dad is watching one of those channels with ministers preaching. I am also quite literally forced to read the Bible every night.
So you see, I do not say things like, "Thank God!" to offend you. God and religion are just what I grew up with; it's just a common thing for me, because I am constantly surrounded by it at home. Really, I find it rather preposterous that people get their panties in a twist over something so simple, anyway. I do not preach at people. I do not snap at people for not praying before they eat. With the exception of my occasional "thank God" or "ah, yeah, I was praying really hard that I'd do okay on that test," I never even bring up the subject of religion at all to people outside of my family. I find it ridiculous, however, that I feel the need to censor myself out of fear that I might (gasp) offend someone by mentioning God! God and religion are not bad words. I feel that people REALLY need to quit being so sensitive about that shit. I have met more than one person who has said something along the lines of, "If someone brings up God around me, then I just don't talk to them anymore. It's obnoxious." Perhaps these people need a reminder that saying such things is every bit as judgmental as the stereotypical Christians they seem to fear so much. These types of people hate me because I believe in God, not because of my personality. They hate me, NOT because I preached at them or tried to convert them, but simply because I believe in God at all!
Ridiculous. Stop with the hate. Like or dislike someone based on who they are, not their religious beliefs. To be blunt, it's discrimination; it's really just as idiotic as hating someone based on their orientation or race.

3 comments:

Regoddy said...

Even people who aren't religious (like me!) use the phrases "thank God" and things like that. So I don't see why people would snap at you for that. Those people must be real assholes.

Atheists who proselytize are equally as annoying as people of faith who do so.

Sorry, deleted because of a stupid typo :(

Autumn said...

ikr? I was kind of shocked for getting snapped at over that, because I know plenty of atheists who say "thank God" simply because it's a common phrase, not because they are literally thanking God LOL >__> Quite excessive to be getting upset over as small of a religious reference as that in my opinion.

R e a f u said...

Religious girl here 8D(not super crazy "ZOMG YOU MUST BELIEVEEEEE!!" crazy though). People get offended for you saying "Thank God"? My goodness! I have muslim and hindu friends who say that without anyone making a stink out of it o_O! Something that simple shouldn't be offensive.