Friday, September 3, 2010

atomic

Some of my concept sketches for Art Lab. The theme was "blast from the past." (Excuse the poor quality of the photo. My phone takes stunning pictures, clearly. [/sarcasm])

They all got scrapped on the grounds of "not being art." lollll I am getting so sick and tired of the instructors at my school trying to tell me what is and is not art. In my opinion, art can't be defined; ANYTHING can be art. Yes, EVEN FASHION CAN BE ART. It was ridiculous anyway, because we're making wearable art, so yeah, fashion is going to be involved, and I kind of think my teacher should just get the fuck over the fact that fashion is included. We were even studying fashion croquis illustrations, SO WHY WOULD WE BE LOOKING AT THAT STUFF IF FASHION IS USELESS FOR THIS PROJECT? Christ.
We also had to scrap a huge part of our group's final design because it was considered inappropriate, which was stupid. We went with a theme of the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, so our design was basically a kimono with an atomic bomb on it, and past the bomb, the dress turned into a mushroom cloud. It was representing the DISASTER of the bombings, and our professor told us that Japanese people would be offended by it. We weren't saying the bomb was a good thing, we were saying it was a destructive and awful thing, so why would Japanese people be offended by it? The only people I could picture being offended by it would be Americans who are trying to DENY the bombings ever taking place. Total BS imo. He insisted we change it so it was just focused on the atomic era, not the actual bombings, but how the fuck do you focus on the atomic era WITHOUT mentioning the bombings? Ignoring the bombings all together is WAY more disrespectful toward the Japanese than including it in our art piece in my opinion.
I also don't understand exactly what's wrong with our art being a little controversial. Isn't that kind of... how a LOT of famous art is? It's often SUPPOSED to be shocking or disturbing.
I dunno. I'm starting to hate my school more and more all the time :( Their restrictions on creativity are insanely ridiculous.

7 comments:

Nimjilicious said...

That is extremely frustrating just to read. Like, what the hell.

I don't know what the atmosphere at WSU is. At Kendall fashion is most definitely accepted as art. Hell we have an annual fashion show. So, if a motherfucking art school says fashion is art, that instructor's pansy ass can go choke on a cock.

I wonder if this instructor would argue fashion isn't art but this is? LINK I'm not denying that ISN'T art, but it was a joke piece anyway. But fashion is more art than that.

Also, I would ask, through the same mindset, is furniture design not art? Industrial design? Interior design? GRAPHIC DESIGN? I wonder, because those things are outside of the traditional oils and canvas art. Man, I would like that prof to come to my school and argue fashion isn't art, they would get the bitch slapping of the century.

I actually discussed your project with several students and they all took your side that it wasn't offensive. And you're right there is not possible way to mention the atomic era without mentioning the attacks. Avoiding it is like ignoring that America interned Japanese-American citizens. Ridiculous. This is severe censorship and a slippery slope.

I wonder if presenting the image made out in multiple paper cranes would be 'less offensive'? Hm.

No one would be offended by the image. Not even hardcore patriotic americans would. It happened, no two ways about it. (I know there are deniers but I don't like paying them much mind).

I guess in the end I wanna say: You teacher(s) can go be sodomized by a cheese grater for being such disgusting examples of artists.

(I don't know how poorly written this is or if I'll regret it later. :< I don't think so but yah...sorry for the essay)

Nimjilicious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nimjilicious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nimjilicious said...

Sorry about the previous two deleted comments! They were a repeat of the first. I messed up. :'D

Autumn said...

The art department at my school also hosts an annual fashion show, ironically enough. If our art department holds a fashion show, then doesn't it naturally follow that fashion is a form of art? LOL... God.

Funny that you mention the urinal piece, because that piece is discussed at length in one of my textbooks about how it was at one point not considered art, but now it is. I mean, the textbook was trying to tell us that depending how you look at things, ANYTHING really can be a form of art... I kind of think my teacher should read the book a little more closely or something LMAO :( Somehow managed to entirely miss that section?

Also funny that you mentioned design being art, because at my school, design really ISN'T considered art. There's this huge rift between the graphic design students and the studio art students. My intro art teacher like, doesn't even acknowledge the graphic design majors as artists; studio art students are "artists," and graphic design students are simply "designers." That isn't right at all to me. I felt really bad for the graphic design students when he was talking like that .__. We are ALL in the art program, so yes, we are ALL artists. Just because graphic designers do a different form of art than us doesn't mean they aren't artists at all. It's just different art.

Mallie said...

I think your art instructor kind of lacks the knowledge of what they are talking about LOL. I mean, there is modern art today, the name escapes me of who it was who created the pieces, but they had taken neon lights and made stick people out of them ands their genitalia and they would be animated so when they jumped up and down and stuff, those parts would move with them and everything. I don't know. For some reason, that just reminded me of that and I wondered how come that wasn't seen as too offensive to show to people, ha ha.

Everyone is going to be a critique. There will be some people who like the art and some who will be offended either way, it doesn't necessarily have to please everyone. I didn't think that was the purpose of art, anyway.

I think your instructor needs to get off their high horse and modify his definition of art, badly. >w> Fashion is art since it takes time to design and create. Also, I believe anybody who would be all butthurt over your group's concept is probably taking it way to heart. Not saying anyone shouldn't, since it was very tragic, but you can't change what happened in the past. It's not like you were saying "WE SUPPORT THIS".

Sorry I am ramnbling LOL. I'm majoring in graphic design and people from the art department at my school look down on us somewhat for not using traditional mediums. Even though we normall sketch all our ideas and shade them and what not, color pick and whatever before we actually finalize everything on the computer. I also was told that since I want to create special effects for films, from a film studies class I was in that I only enjoy movies for the effects. Which is nothing but far from the truth. LOL.

Everyone has their own definition of art. But art is a universal thing and is wherever people go. =/

Autumn said...

Aah, I know. I was thinking, "Have you even SEEN some of the art that has gotten really famous?" A lot of it seems a lot more offensive and a lot less artistic than what we were trying to portray lmao .__. Pleasing other people and trying not to offend anyone isn't what art is about; art is just about creating and saying what's on your mind. That's my opinion on it, anyway.

And I feel sooo bad for graphic designers, because I know they get a lot of crap for their art not being "traditional," which apparently means it isn't art at all. I didn't realize artists were ones for following strict rules on things such as YOU MUST USE THIS MEDIUM OR IT ISN'T ART rofl. I always thought of artists as... not so closed-minded? I wish people would just quit being so silly about things like that. Graphic design is art, as is fashion design and any other kind of design, and that's that.